News and events
URETEK TECHNOLOGY RESOLVES FACILITIES FASTER THAN TRADITIONAL WAYS
URETEK technology allows you to restore berths faster than traditional methods.
Imagine: to stop the subsidence of access roads, a berth or a warehouse, you don’t need to “drive off” large-sized equipment and spend time disassembling a damaged surface, but it is enough to inject the necessary materials through small holes that quickly harden and make it possible to operate the object further.
Similar technologies, allowing to raise the constructed skyscrapers, have been used in Europe for many years. They came to Ukraine not so long ago, but over the years, the Holly Industrial company (Holly Industrial) has already accumulated many successful cases. We talked with her CEO Taras Bogachev.
- Tell us more about the technologies that you represent.
- We present several technologies - weak lifting and deep injection. Thanks to the latter, it is possible to quickly and efficiently restore the bearing capacity of soils and raise the foundations of buildings. It is based on the action of geopolymer materials. The components, the so-called compound, are mixed and injected into the soil through tubes. The compound creates pressure - up to 100 kilograms per square centimeter. In unconsolidated soils under the foundation, it expands, and mixing with the soil, compacts it and itself. Another technology, weak lifting, the essence of which is that geopolymer material is injected into the base of the slab. Thus, the voids under the slab are filled and the soil layer is compacted. Due to this, the rise of the plate. The specific gravity of the material is much lower than the specific gravity of concrete, and by strengthening the foundation, we do not increase its weight, and thus do not increase the load on the soil.
The technology itself was developed more than thirty years ago in Finland, after refinement it has spread around the world and is used on an industrial scale. In Ukraine, before entering the Holly Industrial market, this was not the case.
“New technologies usually take time to build trust.” Holly Industrial has been introducing technology in Ukraine for more than five years. Was this enough time to popularize technology in our country with a sufficient measure?
- Our employees have passed numerous trainings and workshops in Europe. They were taught all the intricacies of working with geopolymer technology. At first, we really came across misunderstanding and distrust. But they were able to convince people and implement many successful projects. In the first year of work alone, we completed restoration work at more than 10 sites. Gradually, they became more and more: houses, historic buildings, large logistics complexes, production buildings ... Both private and state structures order work.
Moreover, the initially acquired experience in using URETEK technology made it possible to improve it and turn it into URETEK technology. Drawing parallels with light bulbs, the first was invented by Edison, but today we see light bulbs of a completely different type.
- How can this be applied in the port industry?
- Many berths were designed and built long ago, so they are not designed to increase the load on them. Where heavy cranes and other equipment work, the coating may subside. In addition, the coating is deformed and sags due to the fact that groundwater erodes the soils lying in the base. To prevent the destruction of piers, marinas, docks, soils need to be strengthened. If you restore concrete structures in the traditional way, it takes a lot of time and is expensive. After all, deformed sections need to be dismantled with the help of heavy construction equipment, arrange a new foundation and then still have to wait until it gains strength. It takes about a month for concrete to harden properly. Not to mention other additional work.
URETEK technology allows you to effectively restore moorings, wharfs and more much faster. You can work at any time of the day and in any weather. Oversized equipment is not needed - all that is needed is placed in one truck. And the design is not violated - after work there are only holes that are easy to close up.
- But after all, before these works it is necessary to make a project and so on. How much time does it take?
- At the first stage, experts find out why decompression appeared in the soil and determine how to increase the bearing capacity of damaged structures. After examining the soils according to the requirements of the technology, a technical report and a strengthening scheme are drawn up, which indicate the location of the injection wells. On average, preparation takes a couple of weeks. If necessary, we undergo a state examination in accordance with the requirements of the legislation of Ukraine.
- How exactly are the work itself happening?
- Small holes are drilled at the base and injection tubes with a diameter of 12 to 16 mm are installed. Then, through them, under the sole from the higher layers of the soil to the lower, a two-component geopolymer composition is launched.
The resin expands 30 times with free expansion, compacting the soil and filling all voids. This ensures maximum protection against water - the material has hydro- and oleophobic properties, which allows to provide high waterproofing properties of the berth, thereby keeping it in working condition for a long time. Having expanded, the geopolymer material hardens in literally twenty seconds, so that it is possible to control the spread of the material over the soil mass and strengthen it precisely in the places where it is needed. Geopolymers can also be injected directly under horizontal concrete slabs of marinas, embankments and moorings. They displace "excess" water and increase the bearing capacity of the soil.
The technology of the arrangement of injectors and the sequence of injection of material allows you to raise the plates and foundations with high accuracy - the laser level allows you to control the accuracy of the lift. Material can return slabs to the design elevation, while other methods can only stop the subsidence process. Accurate lifting is achieved due to the proven technology of the arrangement of injectors and the sequence of pumping material into them, depending on the nature of the deformations, the material and the degree of reinforcement of the plate, etc. If you need to raise the sagging base, you can pump in an additional amount of material, which creates pressure on the underlying layer and foundation.
- Have you already worked in ports?
- Having experience gained by our certified employees in Europe, we are ready to offer this technology to Ukrainian ports. Given the hydrophobicity of this material, we see prospects for ourselves in strengthening berths, open storage areas, covered warehouses and driveways.
Source - https://ports.com.ua/articles/tekhnologiya-redit-pozvolyaet-vosstanovit-prichaly-bystree-traditsionnykh-sposobov